Wait? There are rules? No, these are my personal rules that I feel that readers should abide by when agreeing to the commitment. Emphasizing the commitment.
- You read ARCs first: That means whatever you have on your TBR or in the middle of gets dropped like a hot potato. You said you'd read it - now do it.
- You complete your review on Goodreads/Blog/Reader Group ASAP: Now, eRetailers do not always allow you to post right away. Authors depend on early feedback for exposure. Do your due diligence by reviewing where able promptly.
- Write a positive but honest review: Okay this is tricky. Not every story is for every reader. However there is ways to draft a review without crucifying the author. If you can't give more than 3 stars, contact the author with constructive comments privately.
- Buy the book: Yes, you buy the book or gift the book. You were gifted the early review privilege. The authors have to eat. You love it and I'm guessing you would have purchased it so keep them writing.
- Complete your review forms for the authors promptly: Do not be a douche and have them track you down.
- Post your reviews to all social media outlets:
- Google Play
- Reference your Goodreads review on:
- Google +
See number 5? Yes, every review - every time. I may copy and paste my original, but its part of the privilege to early reading. You may not be technology savvy or want to have your Aunt Mae knowing your social media interactions. Do what you can and where - but let the author know you do have limitations on commitment.